Corbin & I were cleaning out the garage yesterday. Chesson was all bundled up & watching us from a sunny spot in the driveway. He loves to be outside!
Friday, January 2, 2009
Normal - A wonderful word
We have had quite an eventful 2 weeks. I think it's accurate for me to compare it to a roller coaster ride of some sort.
Two weeks ago today, at a routine check up, our pediatrician diagnosed Chesson with an eye condition called nystagmus (he said he had only seen in 3 times in 15 years). This is a condition that affects Chesson's vision. Basically his eyes move back and forth continuously, so everything probably looks kind of blurry to him. Anyway, as you can imagine I was a bit stunned as our doctor called in other doctors to look at Chesson, and then he called a pediatric ophthalmologist and neurologist for us to meet with the following day. Of course, Corbin was in a meeting in Orlando. So, I'm sending him text messages (attempting to act calm in the doctor's office) to call me when he's headed to the airport b/c our doctor is talking about specialists. Since then, we have seen a 2nd ophthalmologist (at Duke) and Chesson had an MRI.
Today, I heard the most wonderful words I have heard in my 30 years...."the MRI is normal."
Yes, Chesson has nystagmus, but that's it. He does have vision. Praise God. We won't know the full extent of his nystagmus until he is older, and he can tell us what he sees. For now, we are in the process of getting a vision therapist to come to our house to work with Chesson on a regular basis. I have never been more thankful to live in Raleigh where we have excellent doctors surrounding us! ~ Corbin has been calm and composed as usual. Reminding me that we have been through tough things before and we will get through this as well. As he said, "We'll just figure it out, we always figure it out." He also gently reminded me that God is in this..whatever Chesson may lack in vision he will naturally compensate for in other ways. Corbin is a man wise beyond his years (when he needs to be...haha).
Tonight, we are thankful for our happy, healthy baby boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
he looks just like the cutest little bean in the whole world in that picture! That is the BEST praise report and Corbin is right, you will figure it all out as you always do. Praise the LORD! I can't wait to see ya'll at the end of the month!!!
Oh that's wonderful Byerly and Corbin is excatly right... by the way Chesson has the second cutest smile...right behind baby William :-)
Hey Byerly!!!
I saw/found you on the Keeter blog! I guess all of the old neighborhood is keeping up with them! Your little boy is STUNNING! He is a handsome little guy! Sounds like you are loving motherhood and are having a great time with him and his daddy! I have an 8 month old and it only gets funner, if that is a word!! Anyhow, I am glad to hear that you got great reports back on Chesson!
Christy (Waters)
Oh WoW! Thanks Corbin for being such a wonderful husband and father!!
Byerly, I can well imagine your fear that this beautiful baby boy would have any problem what so ever. I praise God that things are "normal" and know that Chesson will always be ok be cause he has God, you & Corbin with him always. I hope you know if there is ever anything we can do we are just a phone call away. And by the way; that kid is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! I bet you just eat him up every day. I know I would!
Post a Comment