Friday, May 29, 2009

I think I'm addicted...

addicted to coupons that is.
Since December, I have been trying to really get the hang of how to save money on our groceries using coupons. We have been getting the Sunday paper, I save the coupon inserts, write the date on them, and file them away. But, I could never really figure out how to save big. A couple of weeks ago, that all changed. I went to a couponing class. It totally sounds cheesy, but it was incredible. Everything finally made sense to me. I can shop at Harris Teeter, buy name brands, and save significantly more than I did buying Great Value brand at Walmart. In the above pic, I paid about $19 and saved $31.35 (a 61% savings)- that's right. In the picture below I spent $12 and saved $27 (a 69% savings). Harris Teeter doubles coupons daily, but this week they are tripling. So, I stocked up on free things that I know we'll need later (deodorant, paprika, tea, hot sauce, windex and rice...all free.) The soap was $.o4, the cups $.25, and the cookies $.54. The bread and rice cereal and cereal bars were just regular price.

Yep, I'm addicted. I plan to never, ever pay for rice again. So, the goal is to stock up when it's free or nearly free, and never pay retail again. Ahhh, I'm in love with coupons.

8 comments:

The Colorado Carrs said...

ok your teaching me when I come back in September!!!! I WANT TO LEARN!!!!!

The Cox Family said...

i think i need your class too

Byerly said...

i'm happy to share with y'all. it's like free money!

The Mroz Family said...

I am just beginning a journey into coupon-ing ... What kind of class was it?

JTP said...

what? a class??? i thought only people on Oprah knew how to save this big- you must teach me!!!!!

Sarah said...

Where can we find a coupon for a Chesson?? :)

Tami O'Nan said...

BYERLY!!!!!!!!!! I just found your blog through the Parks and Liz's blog! And I'm so excited!!! Hope you are well! I'm dying to learn all about the coupon class too so you'll have to share. LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
Tami

two Excited nests said...

When are you going to be a guest blogger for us? Huh, huh? I want to learn from the master!!!! :)
-Lynn