Thursday, August 20, 2009

My addiction....an update

Okay, so I know I've said this before, but it's worth mentioning again. I really can't believe all the money we are saving using coupons. Last week Harris Teeter was tripling coupons, and I was able to buy all of this for less than $5 (the pencils came from Rite Aid, but they were free, so I put them in the pic).
My new goal is to spend $40 a week on groceries. This includes our veggies, meat, Chesson's food, and diapers. I have succeeded the past two weeks, and we have eaten some delicious meals. This week I blew it, but we're having a b'day party for Chesson Sat., and I'm not quite good enough to feed 15 people on $40. (Although, I plan to be good enough one day.)
Some of you have asked how it works, so I'll try to give a brief explanation. I buy things when they are on sale, and I have a coupon (I use the coupons from the Sunday paper and a few from the Internet). This makes them free to nearly free. I stock up when an item is cheap, then I have it later when I need it. For example, I didn't need any dressing,but it was free. So, I picked up a few free bottles to put in our pantry. Later, when we run out, I won't have to buy it full price at the store. Corbin likes to make jokes when I come home from the store...."So this week we're eating cornbread and peanut butter, huh?" haha! It does seem a little funny to look at it, but we just stock up each week on the good deals. Now our pantry & freezer are full of just about anything we need to make a meal (rice, pasta, sauce, dressing, crackers, chips, salsa, meat, spices, muffins, etc). My biggest problem is that my freezer is too small to store everything. I also have a box that I fill to take to the nearby food pantry. Items that I get for free, but we don't need I put in the box (we have rice, toothpaste and shampoo coming out of our ears).
I wish I could say I figured all this out on my own - but, I definitely did not!! I took a class from a woman here in Raleigh - this is her website: www.theintentionalhome.blogspot.com.

5 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

Oh my goodness. you are an inspiration. that is so wonderful that you take stuff to the food pantry too! i need to do that. i have been trying so hard at coupons but keep getting discouraged. i only save a few dollars, but I am pretty brand loyal. like i am a viva towel girl and i have a coupon to save 40cents for one roll but that is no where near free and ingles only doubles but they do have triple coupon weeks. anyway I am going to try harder. and Chesson's birthday! Oh my goodness. where has the time gone!

Byerly said...

haha! you actually can be brand loyal. just save you coupons for when the paper towels go on sale. i'll see if i can find a good website for you that shows you how to do coupon match ups.

Byerly said...

sunday - i found a couple of websites that list the items on sale and where to find the coupon to use. Most of the coupons are found in the sunday paper. They are listed by date and RP for Red Plum and SS for Smart Source (sometiems PG for Proctor and Gamble). I pull the inserts every Sunday, and put the date on the top with a Sharpie. Then, I just put them in a file (I don't cut them).

www.couponkim.com - she does ingles match ups

here is her list for this weeks deals:
http://couponkim.com/2009/08/ingles-deals-816-822/

www.southernsavers.com is my very favorite site. It seems to be down at the moment, but she does Ingles as well.

JTP said...

seriously....amazing! I want to be more like this...I shall investigate her blog during my planning period :-) and so awesome that you're giving some of it away!
ps- how is Chesson 1 already??????????????????????????????????????????????

Unknown said...

byerly, this is awesome. reading it i feel like i can do it, but it's just so overwhelming for me to think about actually making it real.
thank you for describing what you do thought that is helpful. i wish i could take a class, hands on is what i need i think. maybe i'll look into it.
o chesson's birthday. can't wait to hear about it and see pics.