Thursday, February 9, 2012

As it comes...

 He was incredible.  It was 10am.  He hadn't had anything to eat or drink since the night before.  Only 3 times did he say he was hungry or thirsty.  He's a 3 year old boy.  He is ALWAYS eating.  This is a modern day miracle.  I am convinced this part was easy because of the HUNDREDS of people praying for my boy.  Totally convinced.
Corbin: Let me look in your mouth and see your empty tummy.
Chesson:  Is it still empty Daddy?
Corbin: It looks like a cave.  Dr. Enyedi is going to be so happy.
Pre-surgery - Happy watching cartoons.


sweet sunglasses
The doctors and nurses were amazing.  They were patient and kind and spoke with happiness.  They showed him how everyone in the OR would look.  He thought that was funny.  They brought him play dough and crayons.  He got sweet new sunglasses to wear b/c the sun would hurt his eyes when we left.  We talked about the OR.


Corbin: Chesson, it will be like an astronaut mask.
Me: You'll breathe in astronaut air and take an astronaut nap.
Chesson:  Are these my astronaut socks?
Me: Yes they are
Chesson:  Why do I need astronaut socks?


The begininng was the easy part.  It was leaving him alone in the OR looking so small on the table that almost broke me.  Then, there was the waiting.  We thought the surgery would last about 1.5hours, at 2.5 hours I could feel the panic creep in. 
 "Corbin, I feel nervous.  Why haven't we heard from Dr. Enyedi?"
"Byerly, she said she thought it took 1.5 hours, but she said she doesn't look at the clock and she didn't really know."
"Oh, right, I remember that.  She really should say it takes 3 hours then."
"Agreed."


A little drowsy from the meds
Finally, they called his name.  Only one of us could go back to the recovery where he was being monitored as he woke up.  I really needed Corbin with me.  But, I knew I couldn't sneak him back there...he's still on crutches.  So, I put on my brave face and rushed to see my boy.  My baby.  He was not pleased.  His eyes hurt, he hated the IV's, and he cried repeating how he wanted to go home.  I nearly broke.  Here again, I am positive, those praying friends of mine were literally asking for strength for me when I just couldn't.  And, strength I was given.   I held him, he cried.  His tears were red because of the bleeding.  The stitches in his eyes were bothering him.  My heart literally ached for him.  It. was. not. fun.  - But, it wasn't long before the doctor came and gave us the go ahead to move to the next room.  The room where Corbin could join us.  I wanted to sob in a puddle in that man's arms, but I didn't.  Strength, from the Lord I love, carried me forward.  I smiled as he hugged Chesson.


Our guy wouldn't eat or drink anything.  The anesthesia made him very sick.  He threw up on me.  I didn't have a change of clothes, and I didn't care.  Not one little bit.  Soon after that we loaded up and headed home.  After 6 hours at Duke we were exhausted and so ready to be home.  Last night was tough.  Chesson was very uncomfortable, and still sick, and I couldn't help but think I had chosen this for him.  Ugh!  But, that man of mine, the one who speaks Truth.  He reminded me that the scariest part, the part we feared the most is behind us.  This part, though tough at the moment, is just that, a moment.  So true, so true.


Isn't it easy to think, if I can just get to _____.  Then, it will all be ok?  I have been waiting for Thursday.  Wanting it to be Thursday.  It turns out Thursday is full of new concerns.  The miracles of yesterday are easily forgotten.  Well, I don't want to be a forgett-er.  I want to be thankful and humble and mindful of the gifts right in front of me.  I want to take life as it comes, not as I hope it will be....because what is here is very very good.


God, thank you for Chesson.  Thank you for giving him a chance to literally see life differently.  Amen!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

oh man. Thanks for writing that, it feels like we were right there with you almost. Such great parents you guys are and so glad that Chesson is on the other side of Thursday and that he had his astronaut socks! So cute!!!